Thursday, October 7, 2010

Head and Shoulders...

**Warning: the following classroom story is rated PG-13 by the Senora Kizziah associated press**

It's body part time in Spanish II! One of my most favorite chapters to teach, mostly because it's like being a kid again; complete with Simon Says (Simon Dice), Put the cast on the body part (Pin the tail on the donkey), and OF COURSE head and shoulders, knees and toes. 

After completing a very inbred looking body diagram on the board, I proceeded to teach the students the very classic "Head, shoulders, knees and toes" including hand motions and 3 time repetition speeding up each time (read, I make a complete fool of myself in front of a bunch of teenagers who already had me rated pretty low on the cool-meter).

Here are the words to the song, Spanish style...

Cabeza (head), 
Hombros (shoulders), 
Piernas (Legs), 
Pies (feet) 
Piernas, Pies

Repeat 2 times

Ojos (eyes)
Orejas (ears)
Boca (mouth)
Y nariz (nose)

Repeat 1st first verse.

Anyway, every day this week I have given my students a chance to INDIVIDUALLY sing and perform this song to entertain their easily amused teacher to earn Pesos (my way of bribing students into participating, by thinking that their efforts will actually affect their grade, all the while knowing it will mean nothing come final exam time). Since nearly all of my students are quite grade driven, I experienced several pain-staking renditions of this song with one MAJOR issue. In their hurried attempts to get through the performance quickly, the words to the song came out something like this...

"Cabeza, hombros, PENIS, pies, PENIS pies :)"

Being my overly mature self, by about day 3 I could no longer contain my internal laughter and was forced to address my not so subtle outbursts when a student stated, "Mrs. K, you aren't supposed to laugh at us. I mean you're like the teacher. That's not very nice!"

I then proceeded to tell the students in a very politically correct way, that what they had been saying to me all week was "Head, shoulders, boy part, feet, boy part, feet." I'll spare you the details of the next 30 minutes of completely wasted class time, and another one of my "I should be fired if they only knew what went on in my classroom" moments. Needless to say, there will be an extra emphasis on the R in pieRnas now and forever!

Adios Amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment