Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Finish What You Start

I've been slaving working on finishing projects that I have started. I have a major A.D.D. minor issue with being able to finish one idea before another one pops into my head and I find myself losing the battle of trying to tell myself that I should finish what I started.

With that being said, I officially missed You Tube Tuesday (promise to post next week) and began finishing some of my original projects. For your viewing pleasure today, one of two re-covered lamp shades.

I found a Pottery barn lamp shade that I really liked (see below), but once again encountered major sticker shock. Note to self, if you wait for things to go on sale, you could have the original. The small size is now on sale for a mere $13.99, though I needed the large size. Anyway, now I'm rambling. I decided I could make it myself, and thus began my first attempt at a lampshade. Turns out it's quite simple!!

I bought 1/2 yard of burlap looking cotton fabric from Walmart, and some jute rope from Home Depot. Then I cut a strip of the fabric wide enough to cover the drum shade with about 1 centimeter overhang on the top and the bottom. You don't want to leave too much extra fabric or you will be able to see it from the bottom. Then just hot glue the fabric to the inside lip of the shade on the top and bottm, and you're done with the fabric part. I then did 2 rows of jute twine hot glued to the outside along the border. Just glue about 1-2 inches at a time to make sure it sticks well!!

So here's the inspiration...



And here is my before...


 And here are my after shots....







I think she looks pretty, don't you??

Total Cost Break Down....

Lamp....already had
Shade...$2.00 from Goodwill
Fabric...$1.50 from Walmart
Jute Rope...$5.00 for 100 feet (I only used less than half)
Total = $8.50     Beat that Pottery Barn!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment